Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Feedings a Christmas Present...


Vicky was one of my life savers in the NICU. She took care of me and kept me sane. She found out information for me and I knew if I had a question she would find out the answer even if to let me know that there was no answer. She also saved things for me to do. And if I was there she let me do everything. She’d say, “Just tell me what you need, otherwise you know where it is.” She made sure that I gave him his baths and that I knew everything that was going on. She also gave him kisses even though she wasn’t suppose to. But, we won’t tell anyone. She is also the only one I let call Johnathan, John. No one else could do that and get away with it.

Back to my little man. They got to the point where they thought they could maybe start to feed him again. First they had to let him digest his stomach secretions, and make sure that it went through ok. They did have him on a gravity suction. Which is the NG tube that went to his stomach was just set to pull his stomach secretions up on it’s own no suction. Around this time he also started getting a cold. They got out the suction and started sucking out his nose and let me tell ya, I never thought that much stuff could ever come out of a nose that little. You could just hear it. It sounded terrible. I didn’t look though I left that up to Stacy. There are a few things in life that I can’t handle and body fluids especially snot of any kind is one of them.

The next day they decided to do an upper GI. This is where they put solution in his NG and watch his digestion every hour by taking x-rays. Maybe they could find out where he was leaking and why. It took a couple of days for the test to come back. When it came back it was normal everything was working fine that they could see.

So, on Christmas Day, he got his feeds back. They were only trophic feeds and they were pedialyte but, it was something. Trophic feeds is just 1cc an hour continuous to make sure that he can digest and everything works ok. But, it settled my mind as a mother knowing that he had something in his stomach.
We spent the day with Johnathan and all the kids that went with me got pictures holding him. I still haven't developed those pictures yet. I think that I am still trying to hold on to something that isn't finished yet concerning JT. He got a lot of presents from his sisters and a bunch of pictures they colored for him. They had a blast up there.

The next couple of days they got his feedings up to 3cc’s an hour. But, then he started leaking stool out of his old incision again. It seemed the moment I got excited I totally got knocked back down again. They had also started bolus feedings which is they would put the whole 3cc’s in and see if he could digest it comfortably. I personally think they started to soon, but, hey Johnathan was unique in the fact he never did anything they said he would do. It was very frustrating. So, since he was leaking, you guessed it, they took his feedings away. They were only supposed to wait a couple of days and try again. But, he got a really bad cold.

1 comment:

boltefamily said...

Thank you so much Bobbie for reaching out to me. Your JT was certainly amazing. what a cutie! I am very thankful for your prayers and kind words they have lifted me more than you know!

Love,
Kristy

Songs