Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Eye Surgery and a Funny Story

Well, tomorrow came and I was up at the hospital bright and early. I watched him go. He was back in now time and when he came back his eyes were really red and puffy which they told me is normal. He came off the vent at 5:30 that morning. I don’t remember why I couldn’t get up there that morning but, I didn’t get to see him until the evening. He was dressed and looking good and he was happy to see me. I just couldn’t stop looking at him. I loved being able to see his face. All of it. He still had the NG tube in. Which is the tube that goes through his nose into his stomache so that he could feed. He was getting approximately 17cc’s an hour up until his bowel surgery which was to be the next Wednesday.

Ok, a funny story. When they started him on feeds, they started him on pedialyte at 1cc an hour. This is called trophic feeds. Just to check out if he could tolerate something in his stomach I didn’t understand the process at the time. I figured that he would drink a bottle. I didn’t understand it would be hooked up like an IV and it would be sent down his NG. Until that time the NG was used to suck stuff out of his stomach not put it in. I was sitting there with Stacy and the whole time we are trying to figure out when they were going to come to feed him. I mean we were there for a few hours. And never did we see a bottle. Vicky was his nurse. She was on nights at the time. She spent the whole time we were there in the isolation unit working with another baby. We just couldn’t figure out why she didn’t come feed him. I think we finally stopped another nurse or the intern and asked them and they explained it all to us. We felt a little bit like dufusses when we finally knew how he was fed. I mean seriously, I was getting mad that my baby was being neglecting and not getting his feed. We laughed about that one.

No comments:

Songs