Thursday, February 21, 2008

How to fix a heart

In the beginning of October the cardiologist came to me and told me that they had ran enough tests and have figured out the anatomy of his heart and what they were going to do to fix it. It seemed that all of his arteries and his aorta where going to the other left instead of the right and that they were forming an aortic arch around his windpipe. This is what was making it hard for him to come off of the vent. So, she told me the plan. They would be transferring him to Cincinnati Children’s. He would be in the NICU there and they were going to do the PDA ligation and put in a PDA banding to constrict blood flow to his heart so that he could come off the ventilator and he could grow and then when he was about 1 year old then he would have the surgery to close the heart. I was happy they had finally figured something out but, scared to death of him being transferred to Cincinnati. I knew nothing about this place and it was so far away. I knew I wouldn’t be able to make it down there much. And that also meant that he would be alone in a place where no one knew him. He knew people up here. He had mostly the same nurses and the doctors where the same. Heck the cleaning lady was the same everyday. I just didn’t know what to expect and when you don’t know what to expect you get really anxious. I really didn’t want to let him go but, the day came with that wonderful announcement that he would be leaving in the next week. Ack! Not what I wanted to hear.


JT was scheduled to leave that Monday. I prayed and I prayed. Lord, please let them treat him right, don’t let him forget me. Don’t let him think I am just a nurse passing through. Let him know I am his mother and remember. Just watch him please while I can’t be there.

No comments:

Songs