Tuesday, February 19, 2008

My other children

I had four other children at home that I had to take care of. They had to go to school and I had to get them there. I really didn’t have a support system that I could be with him twenty four hours a day. I was bitter about that for a long time and I think that still to this day that makes me mad. It feels like he was ripped off in the mother department because I couldn’t spend every second of his life at least within a few floors of him. I had to go home and take care of kids. Sometimes I resented the children too. I know it wasn’t their fault. I knew that but, I just was mad that because of them. Because I had to take care of them, JT got robbed of me. But, while I was there, I gave him the best of me. I always made sure that he was surrounded by happiness. If I thought that a nurse wasn’t treating him right you had better make sure they heard about it. I didn’t care if they were having a bad day. It wasn’t his fault. He needed to be surrounded by love and laughter and that is what he got. But, sorry, I guess I got off on a tangent. I have 4 girls. JT was my first and only boy. Well, that I gave birth to that is. They were Ashley12, Harley 10, Stacey 9, and Mikayla 1 ½ I also have a step son named Timmy that was 12 at the time he was born. They loved the fact that they were going to have a baby brother. They were so excited. And they weren’t upset that he was in the hospital. They were just upset that they couldn’t play with him like they wanted to. During this whole journey I always told them the truth. I never mislead them about anything. I didn’t keep the bad times from them, and we always celebrated the successes. I made a pact with myself that I would always be truthful with them. And believe me there were times I wanted to lie but, I knew that would hurt them in the end. Let’s face it children are not stupid. They can pick up things in no time flat. If I would have lied to them, they would have known and then they wouldn’t have trusted me to be truthful with them.

Back to mister JT. I called that night and into the next morning oh I would say about 25 times. I kept getting the he is resting comfortably. That is not what I wanted to know. I wanted to know the low down dirty facts. Did he have wet diapers. How was his breathing? Did he have any Brady’s. Not resting comfortable. That doesn’t satisfy me. And a lot of them up there learned that I needed more than that. You see JT’s care became an obsession with me. I wanted to make sure he never got diaper rash, he never got bed sores, that his head never got flat on one side from laying on it too long. I felt these are the things I have control over. I can let them know I think he needs turned, I think he needs repositioned. I didn’t have any control over anything else so you had better believe what I had a say over, I was going to say. Now, whether they listened to me was another thing all together but, we all came to respect and love each other.

No comments:

Songs